I decided to write this post in english, because my teacher told me again an again if i want to improve my english i have to write much more, she says that i don´t have to care about making mistakes, this is par for the course when you are learning. So, i promised her that in my next recipe i´ll try to choose an english dish or dessert, and try with all my effort posting in english. If you are one of my spanish followers, you must be freaking out right now, don´t worry this won´t be happen again, for now. Some people asked to me to write in english, they told me, it is a pity can´t understand such a nice recipes. This is for them as well!! Don´t get used to it, my native language is vasque, the second spanish and i´m dealing with my third, which is english. If you have a perfect domain of the language, i´m sure you can find a tons of mistakes, i´m sorry for that, i need to stumble a lot if i want to become a perfect speaker.
So, here i am with Martha Stewart´s rustic apple pie, i´m not completely sure where is this recipe from, but what i´m sure is, it isn´t spanish.
- 7 apples, i used 3 different types.
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 250 gr. of all-purpose flour
- 125 gr. of unsalted butter
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 40 gr of milk
- First of all, we are going to start kneading the pastry dough. In a large bowl, add the flour, half cup of sugar and butter at room temperature, and start blending together with hands until you get something like a sand texture, then you add at this mixture one whisked egg, a pinch of salt and a pinch on cinnamon. Keep blending a little bit more, and put all the dough on worktop and try to make a ball. Don´t knead too much the dough, the pastry won´t be the same. Put the dough in the refrigerator covered with cling wrap at least for an hour.
- Now to make the apple puree , peel 3 apples and chopped in medium sizes, put all the pieces into a microwaveable container, and sprinkle with a one lemon juice. Cover with it´s cup and insert into a microwave. Put it at high power during 6 minutes. Then crush the apples with a fork and add the other half cup of sugar. Mix it until the sugar is incorporated. Let it cool.
- For the topping, peel the rest of apples, cut in the sizes you like and sprinkle them with one lemon juice. If the apples are not sweet enough, you can always add a little bit of sugar. Add a tablespoon of flour to get a thicker sauce when it´s baked.
- Preheat the oven at 200ºC.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and start spreading it. when this step is done, cut the dough with rounded shape, if you don´t have any idea how to do this, you can use a pot lid as a template. Put a nice amount of puree in the bottom, then add the pieces of apples and start bending the dough like you can see in the image. Sprinkle a pinch of sugar and spread the whisked egg on the edges.
- Bake until the dough turns brown, 30 minutes more or less.